What skills do I need to learn for Fortnite?
What do I learn in Fortnite?
Fortnite is a very unique brand of shooter in the sense that the shooting mechanics are only a part of the equation. To fully grasp the complexity of competitive play, players have to competently incorporate the building mechanics and have a strong sense of efficiency in gathering resources and navigating the island. Understanding which weapons and utility items have been implemented in the current season is very important, and equally important is becoming familiar with each season’s map changes.
Here are some tips on how you can sharpen up your shooting skills:
- Using aim trainers.
- Playing creative mode maps with comprehensive shooting ranges.
- Playing “Zero Build” modes.
Building mechanics require a much more comprehensive approach, but here are some ways to practice the fundamentals.
- Playing creative mode maps built specifically for drilling piece control (Raider’s Piece Control maps are an excellent example)
- Playing creative mode and practicing popular builds (90’s, retakes, tarps etc.)
- Playing boxfighting maps.
Learning how to navigate and effectively collect/manage resources go hand in hand. Here are some practical ways to learn how to maneuver through the island:
- Plan and practice loot routes - Fortnite.gg can be an excellent resource for this.
- Practice constant relocation - try not to stay in one place for too long if you can avoid it.
- Exercise map awareness - always keep your crosshairs on the horizon and swivel periodically to check your surroundings.
- Keep the high ground when you can - high ground allows you to see more of what’s going on around you.
- Prioritize harvesting - take periodic harvesting ‘breaks’ where you focus on gathering resources and nothing else.
Mentorship from a skilled coach can help accelerate growth and capitalize overall playtime - a player who spends more time training will grow faster in less amount of time than a player who isn’t structured with his practice and simply pours hundreds of hours in online scrimmages. This is one of the reasons why Vanta emphasizes the importance of incorporating expert coaching into an esports program.
Interested in booking a Vanta skills trainer? Take the first step to leveling up your game.